ARTLab is a hands-on, drop-in, interactive activity designed for Mattress Factory visitors of all ages. During ARTLab, participants are invited to explore, play, and experiment with projects inspired by current exhibitions, artists, and ideas. ARTLab is held at the Mattress Factory from 1:00 to 4:00 pm on the first and third Saturday of the month. ARTLab is free with museum admission.
- January 19 – Mattress Factory Muzine, Volume 2: Create and contribute your own zine pages that will be assembled and printed as the second iteration of a guest-created publication.
- February 2 – Join the current Artist in Residence artist Laleh Mehran, as she leads an activity inspired by her installation, The Interstitium.
- February 16 – Collaborate with current Artist in Residence Karina Smigla-Bobinski on a project inspired by her large-scale drawing machine, ADA.
- March 2 – Ella Hepner, a Pittsburgh-based painter and educator, joins ARTLab for a day of art-making.
- March 16 – Pittsburgh-based multimedia artist Jenna Houstonstops by for an afternoon of collaboration and exploration of new materials, including collage and cyanotypes.
- April 6 – A Third Home: Inspired by MF Artist Dennis Maher, we will build, furnish, and decorate our own topsy-turvy little house.
- April 20 – ARTLab welcomes Kim Fox, a Pittsburgh-based artist who often works with textiles and found metals, for a collaborative afternoon at the museum.