The Cardello Building, located near the West End Bridge, dates back to the Civil War. The building is the original 1864 site of the Excelsior Coffin and Casket Works, in what was then the City of Allegheny. The firm became the National Casket Company by the turn of the century. At the height of its business in the early 1900s, National Casket was the largest coffin manufacturer in the country.
Portions of the original building, separate buildings later added to it, and modifications through the 1920’s remain embedded in what now appears to be a modern building. The building, its history, and the history of the company that was once housed there represent yet another time when Allegheny City innovation and production led the world.
The History of the Cardello Building will be held on Saturday, December 5, from 6:00 until 8:00 pm at the Allegheny City Historic Gallery, located at 433 East Ohio Street in neighboring Historic Deutschtown. For more information, visit the History of the Cardello Building event page.