Congratulations to our neighbors and friends Randyland, Randy, Mac, and the Cat!! Pittsburgh City Council declared Saturday, June 3, 2017 to be Randyland Day in the City of Pittsburgh!
Official Proclamation of the City of Pittsburgh:
- WHEREAS, Randyland is located at 1501 Arch Street on Pittsburgh’s Northside. The owner and artist, Randy Gilson, was declared one of the happiest people in America in the documentary Pursuing Happiness; and,
- WHEREAS, Randyland is often cited as the most painted house in America, and it receives more than one thousand visitors per week who come from all over the world. Randyland is also one of the most visited places to take a selfie in Pittsburgh; and,
- WHEREAS, Randyland has been nationally recognized on NBC News and in the New York Times, among other news outlets, for its diversity, beauty, and community spirit; and,
- WHEREAS, Randyland is the ultimate recycling project, as almost every piece of art was at one time considered garbage. Every year, Randy and Mac add to their collection of art by finding worn out items and revitalizing them with color; and,
- WHEREAS, Randy Gilson and his partner, Mac, spent countless hours building gardens in the Northside throughout the 1980s. Randy and Mac have dedicated their lives to welcoming foreign travelers to Pittsburgh, and Randyland is the ultimate welcoming space; and,
- WHEREAS, Randy and Mac are committed to spreading joy to everyone they encounter. Their inclusivity and art is a vibrant and necessary element of the Northside, and residents of the City of Pittsburgh would agree that Randyland is one of the happiest places in the City; and,
- NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Council of the City of Pittsburgh does hereby declare Saturday, June 3, 2017 to be “Randyland Day” in the City of Pittsburgh.